Tuesday 1 November 2016

Bondy's notes from Milford Pumas

Cup games are all about making sure your name is in the draw for the next round. Job done! In the quarter-final we travel to Fleet.

I felt it was a good first half in possession – we were in control and dangerous going forward. Other pleasing positives included players getting their chance and really impressing. Defensively I felt we lost our shape at times and perhaps could have been stronger in tackle or quicker to react to the second ball.

I would have liked to see us press the ball at the right time – if you press when the opposition player already has control, teams can play around you. Press in numbers, when the ball is travelling or on a bad touch.    

We discussed at half-time what we needed to take complete control: a much more energetic tempo, a better passing completion rate, to defend as a unit, to press at the right times, to win the ball back quicker, to win more second balls and to keep our shape rather than players coming out of position leaving gaps.

Two words describe the second half: WORLD CLASS. But it's about time, I hope you all agree. We have seen glimpses of how good we are. I know the second-half display at AFC Wimbledon was extremely good, but Sunday’s second 40 minutes was world class: from defence to offence, everything we discussed the players delivered.

This Sunday we host Abbey Rangers. On the opening day of the season, the better team lost: we got punished for not taking our chances. I will remind the players of how world-class they were last week. We look now to build, and I hope that we continue and play like we did for the full 80+ minutes. If we can now be consistent, like I keep saying we will prove that we really are the best team in this league. I for one know we are, I just now need the players to build on what was a special second-half performance.

- Bondy


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note that comments will be moderated before publication.